Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Toddler Story Time - A is for Apple

Hooray!  Summer is officially over and it is now time to start fall themed story times.  First one to check off my list is apples!  This week I introduced a new opening song.  Boy was I nervous because I had to sing- without a cd!  Fortunately, I had some awesome moms sing along with me.  Thanks to Ms. Christi at the Johnson County Library for sharing it because it fits my story time so well.  Welcome to Storytime is sung to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.  I hope it becomes a great addition to our weekly routine.    

Welcome to Storytime
Welcome, welcome everyone,
Now we’re here, let’s have some fun.
First we’ll sing the ABC’s,
Then we’ll read and sing with me.
Welcome, welcome everyone,
Now we’re here, let’s have some fun. 


Books I read…

Ned’s New Home By Kevin Tseng

I originally planned to read Ducking for Apples by Lynne Berry, but a last minute book switch was a huge success.  This book is super cute and the little ones loved it!  Poor Ned needs a new home when his begins to rot.  He tries out many new homes until finding one that is just right.  This is definitely a book I plan on making a flannel for someday! 


Max’s Apples Based on the stories by Rosemary Wells

Who wouldn’t love a book with shiny red apples?!  This sweet story is about Max asking for help to get apples down from a tree.  As usual Ruby can’t understand why he needs so many until he surprises her with a pie.  It’s a shorter book, but you generally can’t go wrong with Max, Ruby, and a room full of toddlers!   
 Apples, Apples!  A Lift-the-Flap Book By Salina Yoon   
Who knew apples could make so many different types of things?  The little ones had fun guessing what each person was making out of apples throughout this book.  It was a good closing book for a busy story time morning.   

How it went…


The first action rhyme we all did together was called Apples.  I found it on Sunflower Storytime but I think it is used a lot for apple themed story times.  The rhyme and accompanied movements are super simple.  The little ones made such cute little apple trees.  We did it twice!
Apples
Way up high in the apple tree  (Stretch arms in the air) 
Two little apples smiles at me  (Make two fists)
I shook the tree as hard as I could  (Shake arms in the air)
And down came the apples  (Drop fists to floor)
Mmmmm, they were good!  (Rub tummy)


I think it can be really fun to incorporate puppets or props into story time.  This week I found the cutest apple and worm finger puppet in the supply closet.  I knew I wanted to use it during story time so I was super excited when I stumbled upon the poem, Squiggly Little Worm from Pre-K Fun .  While I recited the poem, I made the worm wiggle around in the apple.
Squiggly Little Worm
A squiggly little worm into my apple bit.
He chomped and chomped until the core he hit.    
I asked him why he did it,
And though it sounds absurd,
He said, “I love apples.”
Now that is what I heard. 
Retired Folkmanis Finger Puppet.  Look on ebay if you love it!

One of the reasons I was excited about this week’s story time was Flannel Time!  (Thanks Future Librarian Superhero!)  It was finally time to unveil my new favorite flannel story.  Five Apples in a Basket is a funny rhyming poem about five apples that think they are climbing into a basket, but really it’s a pie!  I wasn’t sure if the little ones would get the humor but I was very pleased when I heard laughter from the moms.  Mission accomplished! 
Five Apples in a Basket
The first apple in the basket was bright and shiny red.
The second apple in the basket said, “My, what a cozy bed!”
The third apple in the basket said, “Make room for me you pair!”
The fourth apple in the basket said, “Please move over there!”
The fifth apple in the basket said, “Oh dear, oh me, oh my!”
This basket looks like a pastry, I think we are in a pie!” 
 Check out this Flannel Friday post for more photos of this flannel story!

To get the little ones up and active, we danced to Raffi's Apples and Bananas.  A great song that also promotes different letter sounds.  You can watch Raffi in concert singing it here.

A craft completed this story time.  It was so easy peasy and they turned out incredibly cute.  The little ones added color to the backside of small paper plates to resemble the top of an apple tree. Some made green trees while others made rainbows, but they all finished with at least a few apples.  We use dobber markers with the toddlers for low mess fun!  It was then up to the moms to staple on a pre cut brown card stock trunk.  Inspiration for this craft came from Reading Confetti.

Can't wait to check more fall themes of my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment