Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Baby Story Time - Noisy Animals!

Greetings from Baby Story Time land! I think my story time posts have been too wordy so let's jump right in!

Wake-up Rhyme: "Trot, Trot to Boston" (adapted from Linda Ernst's Baby Rhyming Time)
1) Trot, trot to Boston. Trot, trot to Lynn.
         (bounce baby)
    Watch out little baby, you might fall in!
         (lower baby between your knees)
2) Trot, trot to Denver. Trot, trot to Dover.
          (bounce baby)
    Watch out little baby, you might fall over!
          (tip baby to one side)
3) Trot, trot to Boston. Trot, trot to town.
          (bounce baby)
    Watch out little baby, you might fall down!
          (slide baby down your legs)

1st Book: Barnyard Banter by Denise Fleming

Denise Fleming is an Ohio author and a great one! The simple text, animal sounds, and bold illustrations made this a fun book to read!

Guessing Game: "Where's Goose?"We continued with the theme of Barnyard Banter, hunting for that silly goose.  Hint: She's behind the frog!
(p.s. Recognize those felt characters from a previous Flannel Friday post?)

Action Rhyme: "This Little Piggy" (check out this little story telling glove I used)
This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed home.
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy cried "Wee, wee, wee," all the way home!

Action Song: "Tiny Tim" (Thanks, Dr. Jean! We sang this twice!)
Oh I had a little turtle.
     (cup hands)
His name was Tiny Tim.
I put him in the bathtub
To see if he could swim.
     (mimic swimming)
He drank up all the water.
     (ASL sign for drink)
He ate up all the soap.
     (ASL sign for eat)
And now he's sick in bed
     (lay head on hands - sleeping)
With a bubble in his throat!
     (point to your throat)
POP!
     (clap)

2nd Book: Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton

I listened to her cd so I could sing this one.  It's really cute but didn't really hold the babies' attentions.  I wish her books came in a larger size!

Action Song: "Old MacDonald"
I used animal puppets while we sang! There was a cow, a dog, a pig, and a duck! You can find them here.

Baby Parade: "Walkin' Old Joe" (from the cd Songs for Wiggleworms - I LOVE this cd!)
We danced around our story time circle while we listened to this great song about a horse.  First he walks, then he gallops, then he moseys, and then he walks again.  Super cute and a lot of fun!

3rd Book: Where is My Baby? by Harriet Ziefert and Simms Taback

We are lucky enough to own a class set of this book! Every family got to follow along with their own copy, and every child got to turn the flaps! They loved it!

Rhythm Time with Shakers: "Six Little Ducks" (from the cd Sing Along with Bob #1)
We shook our shakers to this song - I forgot to grab the cd I needed so I just sang it.  Whoops!  Good thing I knew the words!

Next, we sang the ABCs, and then shook our shakers to find our various body parts - tummy, toes, etc.

We did our closing songs and rhyme and it was time to play!

How it went:
Another large group today - 16 babies!  After some discussion with my team, I think I am going to add a second session of Baby Story Time every week.  The large group doesn't bother me, but our space is very limited and I feel bad for the parents - it is so crowded!  If anyone divides their Baby Story Times into Walkers and Pre-walkers, I would love to hear about it!

See you next week!


1 comment:

  1. Well, I can see this was 4 years ago, but we divide into walkers and pre-walkers and it really allows for more creativity within the programming.

    ReplyDelete