Friday, March 28, 2014

Flannel Friday - There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout

Long before I became a children's librarian, I would go into my children's preschool or kindergarten class and read every alternate version of There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.  I hung onto many versions of the book.  Now I can say I have flannelized at least a half dozen versions.  This is definitely my favorite one!

This book, by Teri Sloat, is my favorite for many reasons.  I love the artwork, the alternate lyrics stay true to the pattern and form of the original song, and nobody dies!  All of the things she swallows are ocean related, so this can be used for several story time themes.


Here's the whole set.  Placed carefully, all of the creatures fit onto the Old Lady's dress.  The felt design is right out of the book.  I have a tough time with people in felt, but I got close.

You can use this set with or without the Old Lady.  Another option is to use it with the book, but place the sea creatures on the board in order, so as the song progresses, there is a visual as to what creature is next.  This is great for repetition and retelling!
This was one of the (if not THE) first sets I ever made.  I almost forgot I had it!  Now that it is rediscovered, I can't wait to do an ocean or fish theme again soon!

Thank you to Brooke at Reading With Red for hosting Flannel Friday this week!  If you'd like to learn more about Flannel Friday, click here!  Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I also love to take pictures of my perfectly-fitted flannel pieces. This is the only time they will ever look so good! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Then there's the matter of the kids getting their fingers on them too!

      Delete
  2. Love it! I flannelized this one too - mine is a giant laminated lady with a milk filter as her stomach and then all of the things she swallows are made of milk filters that I drew on. I'll have to take a picture and share it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! I love all versions of this song.

      Delete