Thursday, January 16, 2014

Flannel Friday - Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses

Someday I will do a Flannel Friday post on my "Versatile Pete".  Basically with the same Pete, I just keep making pieces to fit him so I can do any of the Pete the Cat books.  But for now, I wanted to show you my latest Pete creation (as everyone loves Pete the Cat!).  This is Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses by Kimberly and James Dean.  All of the artwork is based on their book.  I just tooled the pieces and story to fit a flannel board.

 GROOVY!

To Paraphrase this great story:
Pete was grumpy.  Pete was never, ever grumpy before.  He had the blue cat blues.

If that wasn't bad enough, along came Grumpy Toad.  Grumpy Toad was always grumpy, but not today!  He said "Hey Pete, try these cool, blue, magic sunglasses, they help you see things in a whole new way!"
Pete put on the glasses "Awesome!  The sun is shining, the birds are singing, I am feeling alright!"

Pete was rolling along when he saw squirrel.  "I am so mad, nothing is going my way"
So Pete let squirrel try his cool, blue, magic sunglasses...

FAR OUT!

Then Pete came upon Turtle.

"I am all upside down today!"
So Pete let him try his cool, blue, magic sunglasses!

Groovy!

Then Pete was rolling along when he fell - and his glasses broke!!  Oh no!
Pete saw Wise Old Owl in the tree who told him "Pete, you do not need cool, blue, magic sunglasses to see the world in a whole new way -you must find the good in every day!"
COOL! The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and we are feeling ALRIGHT!

Like I said, that was paraphrased.  Also, there is an alligator in the book which I decided to omit because of the scale of the alligator to the rest of the pieces and the size of the flannel board I have to work with.  The story still flows nicely with that one less piece.

The squirrel, the turtle, and the glasses are reversible to save time and felt.  The turtle's head is a separate piece so I can pull off the flip.  The toad is not on his motorcycle in this version.

I used this in my GRUMPY STORY TIME last week, but I imagine there are lots of uses for this set.  I hope you enjoyed this flannel board as much as the kids did!

Thanks to Kathryn at Fun with Friends at Storytime for hosting this week's Flannell Friday!  To learn more about Flannel Friday, CLICK HERE!

2 comments:

  1. This activity is FABULOUS!!! My students with special needs will more easily be able to answer questions, re-tell and "perform" this great story. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete