Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Baby Story Time - Goodnight, Moon!

We twinkled and shone like the night sky at this Baby Story Time!

Wake-up Song: "Open, Shut Them"
Open, shut them, open, shut them,
     (bring arms out and in)
Give them both a clap, clap, clap.
     (clap)
Open, shut them, open, shut them,
     (bring arms out and in)
Put them in your lap, lap, lap.
     (pat lap)

Walk them, walk them, walk them, walk them,
     (walk fingers up baby's arm)
Right up to your chinny, chin, chin.
     (tap baby's chin)
Circle around your little mouth, but...
     (circle mouth, pause)
Do not let them in!
     (tickle!)

*note: The second verse traditionally starts with "Creep them, creep them," but I don't like it! So I say "Walk them, walk them!"

1st Book: Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
"Goodnight room; Goodnight moon; Goodnight cow jumping over the moon..."

Action Rhyme: "When the Moon Comes Up" (borrowed from a coworker)
The moon comes up when the night begins.
     (make circle over head)
Sometimes it's full,
     (arms far apart)
Sometimes it's thin.
     (arms close together)
It shines on the houses, its shines on the trees.
     (flutter fingers down)
It shines on you, and it shines on me.
     (point out, point to self)

Action Song: "Skinnamarink" (from cd "Sing Along with Bob #1," although we sang it a cappella)
Skinnamarinky-dinky-dink,
     (right elbow in left hand, wiggle fingers)
Skinnamarinky-do,
     (left elbow in right hand, wiggle fingers)
I love you!
     (point to self, hug self, point out)
(Repeat)

I love you in the morning,
     (make circle over head)
And in the afternoon.
     (start lowering circle)
I love you in the evening,
     (arms form circle under tummy)
Underneath the moon.
     (bring circle back up over head)

Oh, skinnamarinky-dinky-dink,
Skinnamarinky-do,
I love you!
     (repeat beginning motions)

2nd Book: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by Jane Cabrera
It was too long to read the whole thing (actually, I sang it), but Cabrera's illustrations are so beautiful, I had to share it.

Next I passed out these fun star wands (simple die-cut paper stars on craft sticks):

And we waved them while we sang:
Nursery Rhyme: "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" (I played along on my guitar)
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
How I wonder what you are.

*side note: this is my two year old's favorite song right now! :)

They kept their stars while I did a simple counting rhyme with these felt stars:

Counting Rhyme: "Five Little Stars" (borrowed from a coworker)
Five little stars - look at them soar!
One shoots off, and then there are four.
Four little stars winking at me.
One shoots off, and then there are three.
Three little star with nothing to do.
One shoots off, and then there are two.
Two little stars waiting for the sun.
One shoots off, and then there is one.
One little star, alone is no fun.
It shoots off, and then there are none.

3rd Book: Hey Diddle Diddle by Heather Collins
We own a class set of these little board books, so everyone got to hold their own copy and read along with me!

We finished up with our usual songs and rhyme and it was playtime!  This was a new theme for me, and it was a lot of fun to do! Until next time!

You can find my opening and closing songs and rhymes here.

Looking for a Toddler Story Time about Nighttime?  See Miss Kristie's post here.
Looking for a Preschool take on this theme?  See Miss Sue's Space-themed Story Time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment