Friday, October 11, 2013

Flannel Friday - Maisy, the Weather-Mouse

This summer I came across the book Maisy Goes Swimming by Lucy Cousins:

It's kind of an odd little book where you undress Maisy from her warm clothes and put on her bathing suit so she can go swimming.  I decided not to use it because it kind of weirded me out, but it gave me an idea.  What if I made a game out of dressing Maisy in weather-appropriate clothing?

This flannel doubles for winter and summer!  You would just ask the children which item is better for Maisy to wear.

Here's what I came up with:

Does Maisy need her bathing suit or her snow suit?

Should Maisy wear her sunglasses or her warm woolly hat?

Does Maisy want to cool off with an ice cream cone or warm up with some hot chocolate?

Will Maisy play with her beach ball or go sledding?

Here is Maisy all ready for Winter!

And here she is all ready for Summer!

I drew all of these items by hand, and outlined them with black fabric paint.

I could see this set being used in many ways - maybe you could make several Halloween costumes for Maisy and let the kids dress her up.  Once you've made the base, you could keep adding to her wardrobe as you come up with new ideas. 

I will definitely be using Maisy this coming winter!  This will make a nice game to play during story time!  Happy Flannel Friday!





2 comments:

  1. This is adorable! Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Maisy. Great idea (and totally NOT creepy) =)

    ReplyDelete