Thursday, January 23, 2014

Flannel Friday - Happy Valentine's Day

Roses are red,

Violet's are blue,

Library Village wishes

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

For Valentine's Day this year, I chose to revamp a flannel set I had already made.  I was so excited last year when I discovered this Flannel Friday post from Storytime Katie!  The envelopes were super cute and paired with the Six Little Valentines rhyme..  A perfect Valentine's Day flannel story!  Last Valentine's Day I made the envelopes.  This year I worked on six little felt Valentines to go inside the envelopes based on the rhyme.  I drew the animals based on different clip art examples on the Internet. 


 Six Little Valentines

Six little Valentines were sent to my house,
The first one said, "I love you, From Mouse." 
Five little Valentines in my mailbox,
The second one said, "Be mine, Love Fox."
Four little Valentines full of love,
The third one said, "You are sweet, From Dove."
Three little Valentines just for me,
The fourth one said, "Bee my honey, Love Bee."
 Two little Valentines mailed with care,
The fifth one said, "Here's a hug, From Bear."
 The last little Valentine, from my friend Jay,
This one said, "Happy Valentine's Day!"
Wishing everyone sweet Valentine's Day story times!  xoxo 
-- Miss Kristie


 And from Miss Sue:
A couple of years ago, Miss Sarah at her blogspot created a flannel set for the book My Froggy Valentine by Matt Novak.  I thought it was a great idea and a very fun story for Valentine's Day (and actually whenever since the Valentine's references can easily be omitted).  But the book is so small!  It is just a little larger than an average board book but the text is longer and more suitable for a preschool story time.  What's a girl to do?  Flannel it!!!

Here's how I decided to do it:
The princess was lamenting that she did not have a Valentine.  Where was her handsome prince??  Four princely frogs appear and one by one they tell her that in order for her to find her prince, she needs to kiss a frog.  So each hops over to the princess for their peck and POOF!
Frog 1 turns out to be the prince of all ogres!  
Frog 2 is the prince of all goblins!
Frog 3 is the prince of all furry monsters!
Definitely NOT the prince for the princess!

There is but one frog left.  She kisses him and POOF!  He stays the same?
What is going on?  Suddenly the princess changes before their very eyes...and POOF!
The spell is BROKEN!!!  The princess returns to being a frog.  And of course, they live happily ever after!

That was definitely paraphrased but you get the idea.  I love the surprise ending!
These felt pieces are all painted with puffy paint (except for the pink which I had to use marker, and the skin tone of the princess as well). My pieces are all reversible!  It is much easier to manage these 5 main pieces and their POOFS than 10 so lately I have been working much more with designing pieces which simply flip over.  I tried to stay as close to Matt Novak's artwork as possible.

I think this would really work in preschool story time and even for school visits. It's not a long story, but kids will know enough back story of fairy tales to really enjoy this twisted tale.



Thank you to Melissa from Mel's Desk for hosting!  If you want to learn more about Flannel Friday and how you can participate, click HERE.




3 comments:

  1. OK, I cannot *believe* that no one has commented on your AWESOME Valentines and envelopes. I am totally inspired to make my own. Thank you for explaining how you came up with the sewing template by taking apart an actual paper envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why we blog!! I am so glad you have been inspired. The envelopes have been so fun in story time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness these are great!

    ReplyDelete