Thursday, January 2, 2014

Flannel Friday - Grumpy Cat

Grumpy Cat was all the rage in 2013.  If you haven't seen the memes of this cute cat named Tarder Sauce here is one:


You can see more about Grumpy Cat at their official website or on Facebook.

I decided to do a theme called Grumpy to talk about those negative emotions that we all feel but not all know how to deal with.  Grumpy Cat is also the name of a children's book I used in story time.  I found a great illustration of grumpy cat by Erin Hunting which I chose to base my flannels on.

Isn't he GREAT???  I also wrote a quick little song to accompany the flannel as well.  It is to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell:

The Grumpy Little Cat (by Miss Sue)
The Grumpy Little Cat
The Grumpy Little Cat
How do you think he got that way?
The Grumpy Little Cat

"NO" says the cat
"NO" says the cat
What do you think that cat will say?
"NO" says the cat

Let's hug that little cat
Let's hug that little cat
A hug a day keeps the grumps away
Let's hug that little cat

(Now the best part - the mouth/nose piece of the felt flips over for this last verse)

The happy little cat
The happy little cat
Turned that frown upside down
The happy little cat!

The cat was made using the technique of printing the photo to size and using it as a template. I cut out the cream color part first and traced it onto felt with puffy paint.  Then I cut out the brown parts and traced those.  I keep cutting from the template the next smallest pieces to trace. The mouth piece was my own creation just cut to fit the space. After the puffy paint dries, I can cut it out and add detail.  A little black and white puffy paint gives the cat a little more life.

My Grumpy story time is next week!  Stay tuned for how it went and thanks for stopping by!!  A HUGE shout out and thank you to Lisa at Libraryland for hosting Flannel Friday this week!  If you'd like to learn more about Flannel Friday, check out the Flannel Friday website!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so very awesome! Thanks for sharing and brightening up a bit of a grumpy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help! :) I couldn't wait to share/use this one!

      Delete
  2. Miss Sue: this is great. And I loved that you tied it into feelings. I know you picked the farmer in the dell, which is great... but in my head it's to the tune of Smelly Cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Go with whatever tune works for you! Sometimes these songs come to me as I am flanneling and I just can't get them out of my head!

      Delete
  3. Excellent!! We're doing a 'feelings' theme in February and this will be an awesome addition. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is ridiculously awesome. And how smart to use it to talk about the grumps. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun and your puffy paint skills are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for that great compliment! Puffy paint can be finicky, especially when the felt snags. I don't think I took a breath making this one!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Glad you like it! The idea is to play to the parents here. I doubt many kids know Grumpy Cat, but the parents will get a kick out of how I use this.

      Delete