Thursday, December 12, 2013

Flannel Friday - What Does the Fox Say



In July, three children's librarians started a blog.  Five months later we are celebrating our 50th post!  We appreciate everyone who has visited our little library village.  We are having a great time sharing our story time experiences with all of you.  Here's to the next 50 posts!

And now on to Flannel Friday...

Recently I blogged about my SUPER fun What Does the Fox Say toddler story time.  So.. I couldn't think of any better way to RING-DING-DING-DING-DINGERINGEDING in the new year then show the details of this flannel set.
The animals are from my favorite fox tee from Fablefire.  Aren't they the cutest?  You can rock your story time in this tee too!  Check it out here!
 
I think the great thing about this song (okay I think of lots of great things about this song..) is that there are many different ways you can use the lyrics to fit the age group you are working with.  Because my group was toddlers, I stayed very basic.  Each little one had an animal.  As I said each animal sound, the little one came up and put the animal on the board.  I went in order of the song.   When I got to the fox, we had fun making different guesses on his sound!  With older children, you could add print awareness to this activity by making cards with the animal names or sounds written on them.  The kids could match them to the correct animal.  Super fun! 
 
I made all of the animals on white felt and used markers to color in the details.  Usually I use puffy paint, but these were a bit too detailed for the uncertainty of squeezing paint out of those little bottles.  I think they turned out great!
 
Dog goes woof
 Cat goes meow
 
Bird goes tweet
 and Mouse goes squeek
Cow goes moo
Frog goes croak
 and the elephant goes toot
Ducks say quack
 and fish go blub
 and the seal goes ow ow ow ow ow
But theres one sound
That no one knows
What does the fox say?
 
RING-DING-DING-DING-DINGERINGEDING!
 
 
Have a great holiday season!!
 


 

 
 

3 comments:

  1. My 3 y.o. just 'caught' me watching this and he LOVES it, he's been singing it all morning. Thanks! Can't wait to give it a go at Story Time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do gorgeous work! How big is each of the images?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of using this in storytime. Now they have a picture book, too! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete