Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Baby Story Time - Babycakes!

Let's face it - we LOVE babies!  This story time celebrates their cuteness!

Wake-up Rhyme: "Patty Cake"
Patty-cake, patty-cake, baker's man
Bake me a cake as fast as you can!
     (clap hands)
Roll it and pat it and mark it with a "B"
     (roll hands, pat tummy, draw "B" on tummy)
And put it in the over for baby and me!
     (clap hands)

1st Book: All of Baby Nose to Toes by Victoria Adler
I love Hiroe Nakata's illustrations and this rhyming book about body parts is super cute.  It was a little too long for my wiggleworms today so I didn't quite read the whole thing.

Action Song: "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" (always a favorite - we sang this twice!)
Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes,
Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes,
Eyes and ears and mouth and nose,
Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes!

Nursery Rhyme: "Jack and Jill" (I used a storytelling kit from Lakeshore Learning)
Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water.
     (bounce baby)
Jack fell down and broke his crown
     (lower baby to the floor)
And Jill came tumbling after!
     (roll hands)

Bounce Song: "Baby Hop" (from the cd Diaper Gym: Fun Activities for Babies on the Move)
(This song is really cute, even if it is a little corny.  It goes to the tune of the "Bunny Hop." This was introduced to me be a fellow Baby Story Time teller - thanks, Keesha!)
Snuggle up together, baby's in your lap.
Snuggle up together, and clap, clap, clap.
Snuggle up together, don't you nap.
Snuggle up together, and tap, tap, tap.
We're working out together, baby don't stop.
We're working out together, so hop, hop, hop.
(Song repeats)

2nd Book: The Baby Goes Beep by Rebecca O'Connell
This book was a hit, with lots of repetition and bright illustrations.  The parents were making all the sounds along with me!

Rhythm Time with Scarves:
What would I do without Lakeshore Learning? We used their wonderful activity scarves for these songs.

Action Song: "This is the Way" (tune of "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush")
(pretending our scarves are washclothes - parents scrub their babies)
This is the way we wash our arms,
Wash our arms, wash our arms.
This is the way we wash our arms
When we're in the bathtub!
(Repeat with legs, head, tummy, toes, etc.)

Action Song: "Baby's Hokey Pokey" (adapted from the cd Baby Face by Georgiana Stewart)
(waving our scarves)
Arms up, arms down,
Arms up, and wave them all around!
Then tickle, tickle, wiggle, wiggle, everybody knows,
That's how baby's hokey-pokey goes!
(Repeat with legs)

3rd Book: Baby Cakes by Karma Wilson
We are so lucky to have class sets of many great board books - Baby Cakes is one of them.  Parents read aloud with me for this one.

We finished with our usual songs and rhyme, and it was play time!

How it went:
20 babies this week!!  It was a little rocky at first, as we had many new faces today, but we got into a rhythm and made it through.  I shortened a few songs and definitely had to think on my feet - I didn't bother to collect the scarves or the books until after I got the toys out at the end.  It would have taken too much time and I knew I had to keep the ball rolling with this huge group!  As long as people leave happy, I guess I'm doing okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment